Jadavpur University, Kolkata
Jabalpur is a cradle of education in India. It has a number of universities under which many premier institutes of science and technology has gained prominence. Most prominent among them is Jabalpur Engineering College, founded in 1947 as Government Engineering College, even before the formation of present Madhya Pradesh. At present, this college is having seven under graduate and thirteen post graduate courses. The college is now affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi Technical University, Bhopal.
- The University needed to have a high performance, secure network structure that will also allow network users to roam seamlessly throughout the campus.
- To achieve confidentiality, availability, integrity of the systems.
- To achieve highly scalable infrastructure so that any further up-gradations and additions could be done easily.
- The campus wide network has been designed and deployed in Three-Tier architecture i.e. Core, Distribution and Edge
- VLANs have implemented with Layer 3 routing for ensuring security between different groups of users. 10 G ready Core Switch has been deployed to ensure ease in migrating to higher performance levels.
- Nortel wireless access points are used to provide secure seamless wireless communication across the campus.
- Security in the network is achieved through Nortel's Threat Protection Systems & Nortel Firewalls.
- Wired IP desktop phones are installed in all departments to make the communication very easy within the IP network.
- The success has touched its zenith when wireless IP phones integrated with Call Server and IP Telephony Manager are installed and the users are able to roam seamlessly throughout the campus without dropping a call.
- Better and easy manageability of the converged network.
- By implementing "Quality of Service", increased better performance of the campus wide network to ensure wire-speed operation of all features on all platforms viz data, voice and multimedia.
- Interoperability, scalability and commitment towards smoother transition without changing the entire infrastructure to accommodate the trends of the future.
- flexible solution that provides ease of operability at user level.
- Security has been considered at prime level and therefore successfully implemented thus delivering a safe infrastructure to rely with as TPSs and Firewalls are taking good care of Network's health by preventing it from intruders, hackers, viruses, worms and unknown threats.